The Boys & Girls Club of Brockton (BGCB) was founded in 1990 to create a positive place for the youth of Brockton, MA. It immediately met a need in the community and in the first year alone 500 youth ages 5-18 signed up as Club members. In the 29 years since, the club has expanded its scope exponentially by offering a mix of Boys & Girls Club of America (BGCA) nationally developed programs and activities unique to Brockton’s Club. As a chartered member of BGCA, BCGB uses the national organization’s Formula for Impact model that focuses on the priority outcomes of Academic Success, Healthy Lifestyles, and Character & Citizenship Development. Within these core areas, BGCB engage the kids through academic support services, career development, the arts, community service opportunities, leadership development, daily fitness and recreation, and more. Today, BGCB serve more that 2,500 youth ages 5-18 through membership and outside services and programs.
Education has always been a cornerstone of BGCB programming in keeping with the organization’s mission to nurture strong minds, healthy bodies and community spirit through youth driven, quality programming in a safe and fun environment. The vision that every member will achieve their full potential through leadership opportunities and caring support informs every choice made in determining how the members can be best served, and it was found that BCGB members are in need of additional educational support that is informed by what they learn during the day at school.
CDBG funding would allow for enhancement to the depth and breath of the following education programs: High Yield Activities which are fun educational activities designed to pique the members’ interest in STEM topics – reinforcing the curriculum studied by youth in Brockton Public Schools through hands-on experiments and experimental learning; Homework Help and Tutoring which is “Power Hour”, a daily academic-intense hour that provides essential homework help and tutoring to Club members; Summer Brain Gain which is designed to prevent summer learning loss and foster critical creative-thinking skills. This program provided a summer loss education to 200 of BGCB summer camp attendees.
Teen Facilities Enhancement/Refurbish
This project would include work to enhance current teen focused spaces for increased use not only to improve the lives of low to moderate income teens and future teen participants but just as importantly allow us to expand our current services to reach more teens and community members and other agencies for shared use of space.
This project includes several components outlined below:
- Teen Center Space Finishes: This project includes the repair and painting of exterior walls surfaces that have been damaged from previous water damage from roof repair in 2013.
- Athletic Center Finishes: This includes the final installation of stanchions for the final court in the teen gym. This will wrap-up all work in the gym for years to come.
- Teen Center Furnishings: This includes the replacement of damaged furniture and furnishings in the teen center to provide teens with adequate and safe furniture.
- Teen Center Specialty Equipment: This includes the purchase of a pro-sport rebounder to aid with programs allocated for teens only that are in partnership with the City of Taunton and Mayor’s Office (Summer Hoops, April Avalanche Tournament, Etc.)
- Teen Fitness Center Equipment: This includes the update and modernization of equipment in our teen fitness center. This is the center of activity for teens to encourage healthy lifestyles, promote a safe place, and encourage goal-setting.